With the current wave of violence against women in kenya that has resulted in a series of murders, we can’t ignore the links of Jonathan Moi to the rape and murder of Julie Ward. On 02 March 2012, John Ward gives a chilling account of tourist Julie Ward’s murder by Jonathan Moi in the mara and the cover up at State House by the government of Kenya for over 30 years.

Sensing that something was wrong, Julie’s father John Ward, now 85, took a plane and went searching for her in the Mara. He recounts how they found remains of her body: the jaw and the lower left leg, that had been burnt, deep in the bushes of Maasai Mara. The leg had been chopped off by a blow from a panga or something sharp.

Political misuse of power was there from the very day we got independence. It is an open secret: Uhuru Kenyatta is a son of a thief. His father, Jomo Kenyatta was a land grabber and a man who used state resources to enrich himself. Open this article in a new tab to to understand why the quest for justice won’t stop, despite people in the system working twice as hard against it.

Timeline of Events: Before, During and After Julie Ward’s Murder:

  • February 1988 – Julie, 28, leaves home in Suffolk for seven-month trip
  • 7 September 1988 – She disappears from her campsite at the Masai Mara game reserve
  • 13 September 1988 – Her charred and mutilated remains are found nearby.Kenyan authorities initially insist she had either committed suicide or been killed by wild animals.
  • January 1989 – Kenyan police refuse to conduct a murder inquiry. Julie’s father begins his own investigation.
  • October 1989 – Kenyan court rules that Julie was murdered.
  • February 1990 – Mr Ward persuades UK Foreign Secretary Douglas Hurd to order an investigation by Scotland Yard. Detectives fly to Kenya.
  • January 1992 – Two rangers from the Masai Mara reserve go on trial for Julie’s murder.
  • June 1992 – The pair are acquitted, and the trial judge declares there has been a cover-up to protect Kenya’s expanding tourist industry.
  • November 1993 – Focus switches to claims that Julie was murdered for political reasons after stumbling across a smuggling operation.
  • 1996 – The man behind the claims is discredited.
  • 1997 – Kenya provides a team of independent police officers to mount a fresh inquiry into Julie’s death as her father keeps up his high-profile campaign to find her killers.
  • July 1998 -Gamekeeper Simon Ole Makallah is charged with her murder.
  • 1 March 1999 – Makallah goes on trial in Nairobi.
  • 17 September 1999 – Judge clears Makallah of murder. After the acquittal, Mr Ward demands a retrial, but his plea goes unanswered.
  • November 2001 – Police Complaints Authority agrees to supervise an investigation by another force of the original Scotland Yard inquiry.
  • 2 March 2004 – Greater Suffolk coroner Peter Dean announces he will resume an inquest into Julie’s death, 16 years after it was opened.
  • 26 April 2004 – The long-awaited inquest takes place in Ipswich.
  • 6 Sept 2008-Chief Constable Jon Stoddart, wrote an independent report on behalf of Lincolnshire Police, said of the role of the FCO and the British High Commission: “There is clear evidence of inconsistency and contradictions, falsehoods and downright lies, and it is this that has not surprisingly led to John Ward believing that there was an active conspiracy to prevent him from identifying his daughter’s killers.” via Kenya Unsolved

“President Uhuru Kenyatta is my age mate. I have known him since we were boys, he is a drunk and he can’t even run a kiosk. He used to run a horticulture business and a bar. They went bankrupt and that’s the same way he is bankrupting Kenya.”

David Ndii (Economist) excerpt from Son of a Thief: How do the Rich Acquire Wealth in Kenya?
We must be harsh, uncompromising and unforgiving to murderers and thieves especially those who die unpunished like Jonathan Moi. – @MigunaMiguna Click To Tweet

Jonathan Moi Killed and Raped Julie Ward:

Gideon Moi (left) Uhuru Kenyatta and Jonathan Moi on Kenyatta Day celebrations in 1980
Gideon Moi (left) Uhuru Kenyatta and Jonathan Moi on Kenyatta Day celebrations in 1980
Is there any Justice in this world? Timeline of Events: Before, During and After Julie Ward's Murder and state protection of Jonathan Moi: Click To Tweet

It was a murder that shook Kenya in the late 1980s. And a trial with twists and turns that kept the nation guessing. Now, 30 years after the horrific killing of Julie Ward at the Masaai Mara, her unrelenting father speaks about his 3 decade struggle to find his daughter’s killers.

The mutilated body of wildlife photographer Julie Ward, 28, from Bury St Edmunds, was discovered on Maasai Mara reserve in September 1988. Three people were charged with her murder, although no-one has ever been convicted.

In September 1988, Julie Ward, a young woman enjoying her holiday, disappeared in Kenya’s Masai Mara National Game Reserve.

30 years after the horrific killing of Julie Ward at the Masaai Mara, her unrelenting father speaks about his 3 decade struggle to find his daughter’s killers Click To Tweet

Who was Julie Ward?

The late Julie Ward whose remains were found at Masai Mara in 1988
The late Julie Ward whose remains were found at Masai Mara in 1988

Julie Ward was born on April 20, 1960 to British parents John and Jan, who also had two sons. As an adult, Julie Ward was a publisher’s assistant in Suffolk, England.

She loved photographing wildlife. So much so that at 28-years-old, Ward decided to take an extended break to pursue her passion and quench her thirst for adventure.

Career Interest in Wildlife Photography:

As a publishing assistant, Julie Ward also had great interest in amateur wildlife photography. She was based in Bury St Edmunds in England.

At the beginning of September 1988 Julie Ward had been in Africa for 7 months photographing wildlife and was due to return to England in about a week. She was travelling to the Masai Mara game reserve with an Australian friend, Dr. Glen Burns.

The tragic rape and murder of Julie Ward spawned a 3-decade-long search for the truth that is still ongoing… Click To Tweet
John Ward revisits the location where Julie Ward was found in Kenya at the Masai Mara
John Ward revisits the location where Julie Ward was found in Kenya at the Masai Mara

Murder of Julie Ward (Summary)

In February 1988, Julie Ward left her home in England for a seven month trip to Kenya. She was staying in the capital of Nairobi. But in September she left the city for a trip to the Maasai Mara game reserve.

She wanted to capture photographs of the annual Great Wildebeest Migration, where giant herds of wildebeest, gazelles, and zebras travel across Tanzania and move through the Serengeti and Maasai Mara.

A Picture of Julie Ward who was Raped and Murdered while visiting kenya's Masaai mara - Jonathan Moi Killed and Raped Julie Ward
A Picture of Julie Ward who was Raped and Murdered while visiting kenya’s Masaai mara – Jonathan Moi Killed and Raped Julie Ward

The Last Time Julie was seen Alive in the Masai Mara (Kenya)

On 6 September the vehicle was repaired and Ward left to drive to the nearby Sand River camp to recover some camping equipment. This was the last time she was seen alive. Click To Tweet

On 5 September 1988 the vehicle they were driving, a Suzuki jeep, broke down so Dr Burns returned to Nairobi and Ward spent the night alone at the Mara Serena lodge. On 6 September the vehicle was repaired and Ward left to drive to the nearby Sand River camp to recover some camping equipment. This was the last time she was seen alive.

John Ward found the mutilated remains of his daughter – her leg and part of her jaw – on Sept. 13 near a tree in the Maasai Mara reserve. Kenyan authorities initially said that Ward had been killed by a wild animal such as a lion. But the theory didn’t make sense given that in addition to her body being dismembered, the remains were also burnt.

John Ward found the mutilated remains of his daughter – her leg and part of her jaw Click To Tweet

Reluctant Justice System:

Kenyan investigators were reluctant to call the death a murder and refused to conduct a homicide investigation. John Ward accused the Kenyan government of wanting to cover up a murder in order to protect the country’s tourism industry.

In February 1990, after John Ward persuaded U.K. Foreign Secretary Douglas Hurd to order an investigation by Scotland Yard, investigators flew to Kenya to look into Julie Ward’s case.

As a result, John Ward decided to launch an investigation of his own. Over the years, he has made over 100 trips to Kenya and spent over $1 million in a desperate search for the truth. It was simple: he wanted to know what really happened to his daughter.

Just to understand how frustrating the justice system can be and how people in power misuse it for selfish interests: Read this story about an American Couple whose kid was abducted by people covered in hoodies claiming to be police.

Over the years, Julie Ward's father has made over 100 trips to Kenya and spent over $1 million in a desperate search for the truth. Click To Tweet

Who Killed Julie Ward?

julie-ward-trial Inquiry into Julie Ward’s case
julie-ward-trial Inquiry into Julie Ward’s case

“Jonathan Moi raped, murdered my daughter” – John Ward. “They Said She Was Eaten By Lions — But The Real Story Of Her Disappearance Is More Grim.” The tragic murder of Julie Ward spawned a decades-long search for the truth that’s still ongoing.

In 2009, John Yates, the Commissioner of the London Metropolitan Police Service at the time, made a secret trip to Kenya and reopened the 21 year old case. Yates was convinced that advances in forensic science techniques would help solve the murder once and for all.

“I welcome the new inquiry,” John Ward said at the time. However, nothing conclusive has come out of the new investigation.

They Said that She (Julie Ward) Was Eaten By Lions — But The Real Story Of Her Disappearance Is More Grim. – John Ward Click To Tweet


Jonathan Moi’s Biography: The Making of an “African Statesman”

Jonathan Toroitich Moi was born on July 23, 1954.

He attended Prince of Wales School, now Nairobi School, and proceeded to study Bachelor of Science (Agriculture) from the University of Delaware in the United States. He preferred to live his life as a farmer in the little known Kabimoi village, Eldama Ravine, Baringo county.

Former President Daniel Moi's son Jonathan dies in Nakuru
Former President Daniel Moi’s son Jonathan dies in Nakuru

Jonathan’s father, former President Moi had eight children, five sons and three daughters.

They are, Gideon Moi (Current Baringo COunty Senator), Philip Moi (a retired army officer) and his twin Doris Elizabeth Chepkorir, Jennifer, June, Raymond Moi, who is Rongai MP and John Mark. Jonathan Moi, the first born son to former President Daniel Moi.

Their mother Lena Moi died in 2004.

Daddy Issues – Jonathan Moi’s rocky relationship with Dad:

Jonathan was also a rebel to his father Daniel Moi, the then President of Kenya. This can be seen when Jonathan choose to build a name for himself by choosing the name Toroitich for surname when there was more mileage with a Moi surname. This is a huge sign of rebellion, especially for a big family name that is very public.

Another clear strife of his relationship with the father was that Jonathan was very close to his late mum, mama Lena Moi. When the President and Lena Moi’s marriage got hit the rocks, Jonathan stuck with his mother and even chose to live with her in their Ravin home, rural Baringo.

President Uhuru Kenyatta and retired President Daniel Moi and Gideon Moi. [Photo-Gideon]
President Uhuru Kenyatta and retired President Daniel Moi and Gideon Moi. [Photo-Gideon]

Jonathan Moi’s Lonely Life, Disappointments and Dislike for Family:

In his 1998 biography The Making of an African Statesman, written by British author Andrew Morton, Moi said he has had little joy from his family. He feels disappointed and let down by it. “He is quite a lonely man although always surrounded by people,” is the way a friend who has known him since his days as a teacher puts it,” wrote Mr Morton.

When Mr Moi divorced his wife Helenna in 1974, most of their children gravitated towards their father, but of the boys, Jonathan was close to his mother. His son, Collins Moi, also hit the headlines in January this year he abandoned his girlfriend at a Kitale hotel.

Jonathan Moi’s Successful Safari Rally Career:

The Life and Times of Jonathan Moi, a Celebrated Rally Driver
The Life and Times of Jonathan Moi, a Celebrated Rally Driver

Jonathan won the 1997 Overall Kenya National Rally Championship title with his brother-in-law Ibrahim Choge, who has since died, in a Toyota Celica GT4 at the peak of his rallying career.

He started racing in safari rally in 1986 — reportedly against the wishes of his father — and retired in 1997 having won over 800 trophies including being the Africa rally champion.

Jonathan Toroitich Takes Part in Safari Rally

Years ago, Easter holidays meant one thing in Kenya, the Safari Rally and it is a coincidence that Mr Toroitich has died during the Easter holiday.

Jonathan Toroitich son of ex President Moi at start of Caltex Equator Rally Nairobi Kenya - Image ID- AKDH6X
Jonathan Toroitich son of ex President Moi at start of Caltex Equator Rally Nairobi Kenya – Image ID- AKDH6X

Jonathan Moi’s Unsuccessful attempt at Politics:

In 2002, Jonathan tried his luck in the political sphere, having vied for the Eldama Ravine seat. He would later withdraw his candidature and chose to support Musa Sirma.

In 2007, he tried his luck in politics again, perhaps hoping to ride on his famous name to clinch the Eldama Ravine parliamentary seat, but failed once more.

Mr William Sawe, who is a former Youth for Kanu’92 (YK ’92) representative for Lembus and worked closely with Jonathan during an unsuccessful attempt to capture the Eldama Ravine parliamentary seat in 2002, described him as a “great friend and very generous person.”

Jonathan Moi’s Unsuccessful attempt at Politics- In 2002, Jonathan tried his luck in the political sphere, having vied for the Eldama Ravine seat
Jonathan Moi’s Unsuccessful attempt at Politics- In 2002, Jonathan tried his luck in the political sphere, having vied for the Eldama Ravine seat

Cause of Jonathan Moi’s Death:

Jonathan Moi, aged 64 years old, was admitted to Nairobi Hospital three weeks ago and diagnosed with cancer, according to a family source.

The family was planning to fly him out for advanced treatment when he succumbed to Pancreatic Cancer and passed away at Mediheal Hospital in Nakuru.

Jonathan Toroitich, son to Retired President Moi dies at 65

Ex-President Moi’s Press Secretary Lee Njiru confirmed Jonathan’s death on Saturday. It was not immediately clear what caused Jonathan’s death.

In a brief telephone interview with Nation, Mr Njiru said the family will issue a detailed statement on Sunday. “I have been asked by the Moi family to tell Kenyans to respect their privacy at this mourning period of their beloved kin,” said Mr Njiru. Jonathan Moi was a celebrated Safari Rally driver.

Retired President Moi’s family mourn the death of Jonathan Moi, as they seek to mourn privately

What Jonathan Moi said about Julie Ward’s Rape and Murder before his Death

Jonathan Moi, the eldest son of retired President Daniel Moi, had termed reports linking him to the death of British tourist Julie Ward as ‘shocking’ in an interview in 2012. “I am totally shocked to hear this,” Jonathan told the Star at the time. “I had no relationship with the said lady and I didn’t even know her. I never did such a thing and it has never crossed my mind to do it.”

Owing to press freedom and democratic space in the 1980s and 1990s, the matter was discussed in hushed voices even as the deceased father embarked on a mission to establish the truth.

I had no relationship with the said lady and I didn’t even know her. I never did such a thing and it has never crossed my mind to do it. – Jonathan Moi Click To Tweet

Quest for Justice by Julie Ward’s Father:

Julie Ward’s father, John Ward, accused Mr Moi, a former rally driver, of raping and killing her daughter at Maasai Mara game reserve in 1988 September. Julie was in Kenya to take wildlife photographs. Jonathan Moi, whose father Daniel Moi was de facto leader at that time, denied all links to the death, adding that he never had any relationship with the photographer at that time.

John Ward later persuaded the Scotland Yard Investigators to pursue the case and in 1990, two park rangers were tried for the murder of Julie Ward. The two were acquitted in 1992. Progress from the sleuths from England’s deadly Scotland Yard was equally devastating. “The British Government sensing that the then President Daniel Moi (his father) didn’t want this to be a murder decided to help him in the cover up,” said Mr Ward in an interview. Mr Ward also accused government pathologists at that time of tampering with autopsy, adding that they were acting under orders from top government officials.

The British Government sensing that the then President Daniel Moi (his father) didn’t want this to be a murder decided to help him in the cover up. – John Ward Click To Tweet

The files of the case were revisited in 1997 and the head-warden Simon Makala was charged with murder, he too was acquitted in 1999. 5 years later , Kiratu Murungi the then Minister of Justice admitted that there was a grand cover up that derailed justice for the Ward family and vowed to reopen the case.

A former intelligence officer who claims that he witnessed the murder, told he Telegraph that “All the three men repeatedly raped the British tourist in turn as she pleaded for mercy…The things that I saw will live with me till I die.”

This shone a glimmer of hope for The Ward family as Mawi Kibaki’s government was investigating Ouko’s case which was similar to Julie’s in many ways. In the same year, a former Kenya Intelligence Service officer in an anonymous interview claimed that he had witnessed the murder of Julie Ward. He claimed that Julie had been gang-raped and brutally killed by three men but the case still didn’t move forward.

Until now, he is still pushing to get justice for his daughter even at his old age (85), over three decades after her death. John Ward is not showing any sign of resign towards the case, in fact he has brought his son, Rob Ward, in on the case. They trust the new regime in Kenya and the pieces of evidence they have collected over time to finally get justice for Julie.

Kiraitu Murungi the then Minister of Justice admitted that there was a grand cover up that derailed justice for the Ward family and vowed to reopen the case. Click To Tweet

The Death of Jonathan Moi – Mixed Reactions:

Reactions by Kenyan Political Leaders to Jonathan Moi’s Death- President Uhuru Kenyatta, Deputy President William Ruto and former Prime Minister Raila Odinga were among leaders who sent condolences
Reactions by Kenyan Political Leaders to Jonathan Moi’s Death- President Uhuru Kenyatta, Deputy President William Ruto and former Prime Minister Raila Odinga were among leaders who sent condolences

Former President Daniel Moi’s son, Jonathan Moi, also known as Mr Toroitich, died on Friday evening in Nakuru, ex-President Moi’s Press Secretary Lee Njiru confirmed Saturday, saying details would follow. Mourners in Kabimoi, a village in Koibatek, Baringo County, started streaming into Mr Toroitich’s home as early as 8am on Saturday.

One by one the people signed the condolence book, some describing Jonathan as a generous man who was loved by many. At the nearby Kabimoi trading centre, where Jonathan Mon who was popularly known as JT (a nickname coined from the initials of his name: Jonathan Toroitich) and where he often made stopovers on his way home, many described his death as big loss to the community.

Mourners at Lee Funeral Home in Nairobi, following the death of Jonathan Moi, son of former President Daniel arap Moi, April 20, 2019. PHOTO - JEFF ANGOTE - NATION MEDIA GROUP
Mourners at Lee Funeral Home in Nairobi, following the death of Jonathan Moi, son of former President Daniel arap Moi, April 20, 2019. PHOTO – JEFF ANGOTE – NATION MEDIA GROUP

Jonathan Moi, a very laid back person, hit media headlines after questions emerged over his alleged role in the murder of a British tourist and also during his unsuccessful bid for political office.

President Uhuru Kenyatta, Deputy President William Ruto and former Prime Minister Raila Odinga were among leaders who sent condolences. Before his death, Jonathan Moi lived a quiet life as a farmer but was famous his exploits as a rally driver.

Remembering Jonathan Toroitich Arap Moi:

Outspoken Canadian based lawyer Miguna Miguna has faulted President Uhuru Kenyatta and ODM leader Raila Odinga for hailing Mr Jonathan Moi, a son to retired President Daniel Moi, as a kind man, adding that the deceased elder son of Moi should have been jailed for Julie’s murder. He has faulted a section of politicians for eulogizing Jonathan Moi.

He said Jonathan Moi belonged to jail for murdering Julie Ward.

“IRONCLAD evidence proves that Jonathan Moi MURDERED Julie Ward in 1988 at the Maasai Mara but instead of serving the rest of his life in jail, Uhuru Kenyatta and @RailaOdinga mourn Jonathan as “kind, generous and humble.” Real patriots should sweep despots to the Indian Ocean,” Miguna Miguna said.

Canadian based lawyer Miguna Miguna. He has faulted a section of politicians for eulogizing Jonathan Moi. [Photo-Miguna, Twitter]
Canadian based lawyer Miguna Miguna. He has faulted a section of politicians for eulogizing Jonathan Moi. [Photo-Miguna, Twitter]

Writing in the Nairobi Law Monthly in 2012, Mr John Ward accused Jonathan of murdering his daughter, who disappeared in the Maasai Mara National Game Reserve in September 1988 while on holiday.

Reports on the state of her remains pointed to two theories: either she was mauled by wild animals — considering that she had been left alone in the Maasai Mara Game Reserve after a jeep which she was using for a game drive with Glen Burns broke down — or she had been murdered.

Reports on the state of Julie Ward's remains pointed to two theories: either she was mauled by wild animals or she had been murdered. Click To Tweet

Moi and Family won’t receive mourners following son Jonathan’s death – Moi Family Statement

Former Kenyan President Daniel Toroitich Arap Moi the father to Jonathan Moi
Former Kenyan President Daniel Toroitich Arap Moi the father to Jonathan Moi

Retired President Daniel Arap Moi’s family has thanked Kenyans and friends across the globe for the condolences following the death of Jonathan Toroitich.

In a statement released on Sunday at their Kabarak residence in Rongai, Nakuru, the family said that they appreciate the messages which started streaming in on Saturday morning after Jonathan’s demise.

Through Moi’s Press Secretary and Personal Assistant Lee Njiru, the family, however, said that the retired president may not be able to personally receive those wishing to offer their condolences.

Moi and Family won't receive mourners following son Jonathan's death - Moi Family Statement
Moi and Family won’t receive mourners following son Jonathan’s death – Moi Family Statement

“We, the entire Moi family have been touched by the overwhelming messages of condolences and expressions of empathy from Kenyans and friends across the world. We thank you all for grieving with us following the passing on of our dear Jonathan,” the family said.

“The family with heavy hearts wishes to inform all our friends that our patriarch Mzee Moi may not be able to personally receive those wishing to offer their condolence.”

“This inevitable stand does not in any way lessen our gratitude dear friends. Please understand and bear with with us,” read the statement.

The home of the late Jonathan Toroitich Moi, son of former President Daniel arap Moi, at Kabimoi farm in Eldama Ravine as pictured on April 20, 2019. PHOTO - JOHN NJOROGE - NATION MEDIA GROUP
The home of the late Jonathan Toroitich Moi, son of former President Daniel arap Moi, at Kabimoi farm in Eldama Ravine as pictured on April 20, 2019. PHOTO – JOHN NJOROGE – NATION MEDIA GROUP

Reactions and Condolences by Kenyan Political Leaders after Jonathan Moi’s Death:

President Uhuru Kenyatta has led Kenyans in mourning the death of former President Daniel Moi’s first son, Jonathan Toroitich Moi, who succumbed on Friday.

He was also joined by Opposition leader Raila Odinga who stated: “My family and that of Jaramogi Oginga Odinga send deeply felt condolences to President Daniel arap Moi following the death of Jonathan earlier today.”

In his condolence statement, Uhuru described Jonathan as a humble, kind, generous and courageous person. Deputy President William Ruto also condoled with the Moi family describing Jonathan as “an enthusiastic, competitive and masterful rally driver.”

Family and friends of the late Jonathan Toroitich Moi, son of former President Daniel arap Moi, at Lee Funeral Home in Nairobi on April 20, 2019. PHOTO - JEFF ANGOTE - NATION MEDIA GROUP
Family and friends of the late Jonathan Toroitich Moi, son of former President Daniel arap Moi, at Lee Funeral Home in Nairobi on April 20, 2019. PHOTO – JEFF ANGOTE – NATION MEDIA GROUP

Whereas he has been eulogised as a sportsman and genial “happy-go-lucky guy”, as his friend former MP and businessman Cyrus Jirongo described him, he died with question marks over the mysterious murder of Julie Ward, a young British tourist, more than 30 years ago.

Reached for comment, the deceased’s ex-wife, Beatrice Mulwa, with whom they had two children, said: “I can’t talk about him now. You need to give us time.” She is a niece of former Cabinet Minister Nyiva Mwenda.

Jonathan Moi’s family arrive at his home in Eldama Ravine:

Mombasa Governor, Hassan Ali Joho exclaimed: “TJ will be remembered most for his contribution to our sporting industry by venturing into and supporting motor racing.”

Baringo Senator, Gideon Moi eulogised his elder brother as a “selfless family man, amiable, social and down-to-earth and industrious human being,” through a public statement: “Jonathan will be remembered for his daring exploits in the racing tracks, in muddy and dusty tracks, during this time of Easter,” he said and asked the public to allow the family to mourn privately.

Leaders mourn Jonathan Moi as they send in condolence messages

Nakuru governor Lee Kinyanjui in his message of condolences said Mr Toroitich was a great sportsman.”He was one of Kenya’s leading rally drivers, and was also a farmer,” said Mr Kinyanjui

Former Kabimoi nominated civic leader Ms Selina Suge said Jonathan was generous to farmers and herders in the region.

ANC chief Musalia Mudavadi posted that his family is shocked by the loss and that his prayers are with the family.

“It is with profound shock Tessie and I have learnt of the passing on of Jonathan Moi. Our heartfelt condolences to HE Daniel Arap Moi, Jonathan Moi’s family, the entire Moi family and to their relatives and friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time.”

Senator Mutula Kilonzo Jr stated, “Rest In Peace Jonathan Moi. Safari Rally enthusiasts will remember you and your famous Toyota Celica.”

Rumours of Jonathan Moi’s Involvement in Julie Ward’s Murder:

Immediately, Jonathan Moi was rumoured to have been involved in Julie’s death. The first information concerning Jonathan, the son of Kenya’s former President Daniel Moi, came from a Swiss TV crew working in the park. 

They had offered their five radio-equipped vehicles to assist in the search for the missing tourist. Senior warden Simon ole Makallah abruptly told them to mind their own business. The crew had heard rumours about Jonathan being seen with a group of men in the park.

After six weeks of filming, the Swiss left Kenya. By now, some of the dismembered remains of Julie Ward had been discovered in a remote corner of the game park rarely visited by tourists.

Before leaving, they went to the Makallah’s office to settle their account, and found him sitting head in hands. He said he had been summoned to a meeting with President Moi.

Rumours of Jonathan Moi's Involvement in Julie Ward's Murder: Click To Tweet
Jonathan Moi Passed away today. The mystery murder of Julie Ward he is linked to still remains unsloved.
Jonathan Moi Passed away today. The mystery murder of Julie Ward he is linked to still remains unsloved.

Disappearance of Julie Ward and Air Search Launch by Father:

On September 12, 1988, I arrived from the UK to search for my daughter, six days after she was reported missing. I launched an air search on September 13 and located Julie’s Suzuki Jeep. It was in a deep gully, several miles into the harsh bush.

 On arrival at the scene, I found an empty vehicle. I assumed that Julie had somehow got stuck in the mud of the gully and was now attempting to walk to safety. Why and how the vehicle had arrived at that remote location remained baffling. But that could wait; the priority was to find her.

Simon ole Makallah:

Although Makallah was aware of the situation and responsible for all activities and tourists in the park, he had not ordered a search by any of the 113 rangers under his command.

At 11 a.m., on the day Julie’s Suzuki was spotted, Makallah was informed immediately. Instead of rushing to the scene to take command of the ground search, Makallah drove to Serena Lodge, 50km in the opposite direction.

Makallah already knew a search would be pointless. It was not until mid-afternoon that Makallah finally arrived at the scene. By then, over 30 other people – rangers, police, council workers – had been to the scene and left for the search. Before leaving the vehicle, a police inspector known as Anthony Mwaura instructed two constables to remove Julie’s personal possessions from the vehicle and take them to the Sand River Police Post for safe keeping. The constables removed maps, a pair of trainers, two bottles of beer, a pair of binoculars and various other items, including tents and sleeping bags.

Jonathan Moi Killed and Raped Julie Ward
Jonathan Moi Killed and Raped Julie Ward
Decades after the murder of British tourist Julie Ward in Kenya, her father says he knows who killed her – and has accused the British state of helping the murderer escape justice. – John Ward, Suffolk UK Click To Tweet

Then the police and rangers commenced the search. When Makallah arrived at 3p.m., there was no one at the vehicle.

Then the police and rangers commenced the search. When Makallah arrived at 3p.m., there was no one at the vehicle.

While giving evidence in court during the trial of two rangers, Makallah was asked by the trial Judge, Mr Justice Fida Hussien Abdullah, what he had done when he arrived at the vehicle. Makallah said he “peeked” inside the vehicle. He listed what he saw: some maps, a pair of trainers, two bottles of beer, a pair of binoculars. These items had already been removed by the police three hours before he arrived.

However, Makallah was only a witness. The accused were two rangers, who had been arrested and charged with murder on the advice of Scotland Yard. They were eventually acquitted. Nonetheless, the trial Judge said that Makallah must have had prior knowledge of Julie’s Suzuki before the afternoon of the September 13. Therefore, Makallah had knowledge of the circumstances of the murder that he had not disclosed to the Court.

The spotlight of suspicion fell squarely on Makallah – and for good reason.

Back to the afternoon of the September 13, the vehicle was discovered. Makallah had stayed at the scene of the stranded Suzuki for an hour. This was confirmed by several witnesses, including his driver John Teeka, an inspector Odhiambo (who was in Makallah’s vehicle), a group of rangers and Assistant Warden James Sindyo, who arrived at the scene in a separate vehicle.

At 4p.m., Makallah joined the ground search. The gully where Julie’s Suzuki was found is a tributary of the river, on the north side of the Sand River. The river flows through the game park contained within steep sided banks. There is no vehicle crossing at this point.

Even on foot, the river would normally be impassable. On this day, September 13, the water level was low and it would have been just possible to slide and scramble down the steep bank, wade across the river, and scramble up the opposite side.

Why on earth would anyone think Julie had done that? Her vehicle had left clear tyre marks in the long grass on the North side. Logically, if she had got the vehicle stuck in the gully, she would have followed these tracks across country, back to the road between Keekorok and Sand River Gate, from where she had allegedly started her journey.

However, logic has no place in the events surrounding Julie’s disappearance. She was returning to Nairobi to fly home, after her brief visit to the Masai Mara. The allegation that she had decided to turn off the main road, drive across the trackless, rockstrewn bush before attempting to drive through a deep gully, is as ridiculous as it is illogical.

It became obvious that someone else had driven Julie’s vehicle across the bush and into the gully. The spotlight of suspicion on Simon ole Makallah became brighter and even more focused, thanks to his actions.

Instead of searching on the north side of the Sand River (where the Suzuki was stuck), Makallah went to the south. 

To cross the river, Makallah had to drive along the top of the bank of the Sand River for three kilometres to a place called the Sand River Crossing. Here the riverbanks are less steep and crossing with a 4×4 vehicle is possible at certain times of the year.

Once on the South side, Makallah was confronted with a vast vista of featureless bush, stretching a full half circle of 180 degrees from the distant horizon in the east to the west. For Makallah, it should have been a difficult decision to pick possible directions to take to start his search.

Makallah had left the Suzuki in the gully at 4p.m. At 4.26p.m., he sent a radio signal to park headquarters, informing them he had found Julie’s remains. The place was 10km, in a south-easterly direction, a desolate corner of the Masai Mara. There are no tracks leading to it and it is identifiable only by a distinctively shaped large tree set among dozens of other smaller trees and bushes.

Police have retraced Makallah’s movements for that day. They have re-enacted Makallah’s journey from the gully, across the Sand River, and to the site of Julie’s remains.

The late Julie Ward (left) and former President Daniel Moi's son Jonathan Moi
The late Julie Ward (left) and former President Daniel Moi’s son Jonathan Moi
John Ward gives a chilling account of tourist Julie Ward's murder by Jonathan Moi in the mara and the cover up at State House by the government of Kenya for over 30 years. Click To Tweet

Before you continue reading this, I highly recommend this article about Ghana Beyond Aid Agenda: The Possibility of an Independent Ghana and the effect it will have on other African countries. It will give you a great juxtaposed perspective of where Ghana is today in relation to the economy and freedom from neo-colonialism. Click here to open the Ghana Beyond Aid Article in a new tab.

Even though the police now knew where the site of Julie’s remains were located, the quickest time for their journey was exactly 26 minutes. (And, because this evidence is so crucial, the journey has been re-enacted many times and 26 minutes is the shortest elapsed time).

Twenty-six minutes is also the precise time it took Makallah to drive from the Suzuki in the gully to the site of the Julie’s remains. Makallah claimed he had no idea which direction to take and that his search had been random and his discovery was just a matter of chance.

It was clear that not only had Makallah lied about his prior knowledge of the items in Julie’s vehicle, he had also lied about his knowledge of the location of Julie’s remains. He undoubtedly knew where to go. By sending a timed radio message on his arrival, he confirmed his own lies.

A copy of the timed radio signal was discovered at park headquarters. It is now with British Police.

In trying to extricate himself from the situation, Makallah claimed he had been led by vultures circling in the sky. It was pointed out to Makallah that you could not see an elephant at that distance, let alone the speck of a vulture in the sky. Makallah stopped offering that particular explanation but was not able to offer any alternative.

Within a few days, after the discovery of Julie’s remains, he disappeared from the park. At first the official line was that he was “on leave”. But when weeks turned into months, the story changed. Makallah had been suspended. In fact, he never returned to his position of Senior Warden of the Masai Mara Game Reserve.

Patriots don't mourn criminals who died without paying for their crimes like Jonathan Moi. We condole with victims of crimes: not with the families of the criminals. You have never heard of a funeral procession or a condolence tribute… Click To Tweet
Julie Ward's father John Ward
Julie Ward’s father John Ward

However, before he disappeared, Makallah wrote a report to the clerk of the Narok County Council, dated September 24, 1988. It claimed he was absent from the game park at the time of the murder and implied that Julie had committed suicide.

In an attempt to support this suggestion, he said Julie and her companion had been involved in an argument at Serena Lodge and she was upset. But documentary records show that Makallah was in the game park at the time of the murder. 

His allegation of an argument was also untrue. This was subsequently confirmed by her companion, whose passport showed he had left Kenya and was actually in Rwanda at the time of Julie’s death.

In any case, medical and all other forensic evidence showed that Julie had been murdered.

In an attempt to prove he could not be responsible for driving Julie’s vehicle into the gully – thereby gaining knowledge of the vehicle’s contents – Makallah visited Kilgoris Police Station on September 16, 1989. He recorded a voluntary statement claiming that he could not drive a motor vehicle. He had never driven a motor vehicle. He did not know how to drive and did not possess a driving licence.

A copy of his statement is retained by British Police. Makallah’s statement was completely untrue.

Makallah’s driver, John Teeka, has said that Makallah often took over the driving. Makallah’s assistant warden, James Sindyo, gave evidence that he had often seen Makallah driving. Makallah had, in fact, driven me and Frank Ribeiro to Sand River Gate. The police discovered records of a motor accident involving a vehicle Makallah was driving.

After giving evidence on oath in court, again stating his inability to drive, Makallah was followed by a newspaper reporter. He watched Makallah take his vehicle from Kenya Wildlife Services headquarters and drive to his house. The reporter gave evidence the following morning about what he had seen. Nothing happened to Makallah as a result of his perjury.

Information concerning Jonathan Moi’s Involvement:

Jonathan Moi Dies. Julie Ward Trends. And for obvious reasons. Welcome to the unforgiving modern world of social media. – @Asmali77 Click To Tweet
John Ward seeks justice for daughter 30 years on.

She was raped and brutally murdered before her body was dumped in a bush at the Maasai Mara. The chilling account of the Julie Ward murder and the subsequent cover up that was followed by investigations by the British and Kenya governments has not deterred the father from seeking Justice.

John Ward has walked an agonising path for almost three decades in search of the truth on who killed his daughter. He now says he plans to reopen the case one more time, depending on the outcome of the election.

Nation Media

This article will make more sense if you get a background of how Kenya was founded. Have you ever wondered about the genuine reason why Kenyatta Day was changed to Mashujaa Day? We dug out the real meaning, history, and reasons why Mashujaa day celebrations happen in Kenya, and what that means for the common Mwananchi.

This quest begun with questions: What is the significance of other holidays like Moi Day, Madaraka Day and Jamuhuri Day to the common mwananchi? Are some holidays in Kenya irrelevant? Click here to open this article in a new tab and understand the deeper, almost uncovered history of Mashujaa Day and a Look Into the Future: What Mashujaa Day will Look Like in 10 Years…

The secondhand clothes seller

Nonetheless, while the evidence against Makallah grew, information concerning Jonathan Moi’s involvement continued to emerge, suggesting a linkage between the two.

One afternoon, as I was waiting for transport outside Keekorok Lodge, I was furtively approached by a large lady, who pressed a tightly folded note into my hand. She sidled away. Opening it later, it read simply, “The man who killed your daughter is Jonathan Moi” There was also a post office box number for Mombasa.

Later, I contacted the lady and asked how she was able to make the allegation against Jonathan. She explained that she was a second-hand clothes dealer.

The lady regularly visited Masai Mara and surrounding villages, selling the second-hand clothes. She said local women, who were her customers, included the wives of park rangers. She said she had heard the allegations about Jonathan Moi everywhere in the park, but particularly in the villages near Sekanani Gate and Olaimutiek Gate.

The latter gate and adjacent village are near the location Julie’s dismembered remains were found. The world famous Cottar’s Tourist Camp, then owned by the equally famous, Glen Cottar, is also in the same area.

I retained the folded note and passed it, with the information, to Scotland Yard.

Jonathan Moi’s farm:

Mzee Moi's son Jonathan Moi known for his safari rally and the unsolved murder of Julie Ward
Mzee Moi’s son Jonathan Moi known for his safari rally and the unsolved murder of Julie Ward

In early 1989, soon after Julie’s death, I received information that required a visit to Lolgorien. The route from Serena Lodge was via the 0101010 Gate, then climbing up the steep winding track onto the escarpment and from there towards the Lolgorien-Kilgoris main road. On the way, the vehicle passed many small farms and villages. At one point, a very impressive farm came into view. Whereas the local farms consisted of small huts, with thorn hedges, this property was modern and with good fencing. The crops were planted in neat rows and the whole complex was obviously well run and maintained.

Out of curiosity, I asked the Serena driver who owned the farm? “It belongs to Jonathan Moi, one of the President’s sons,” the driver replied.

About two years laters, I had reason to visit Kilgoris and once more, the driver took the same route from Serena Lodge. On passing the same farm, I noticed that it appeared to be nearly derelict. The previously neat fencing was sagging and damaged, and the place appeared to be deserted and generally in a state of disrepair. Uncertain whether it was the same farm I had seen, I inquired whether that was Jonathan Moi’s farm. The driver confirmed, adding: “He doesn’t come here anymore.” I asked: “Since when? “About two years,” the driver replied. 

A Picture of Julie Ward who was Raped and Murdered while visiting kenya's Masaai mara - Jonathan Moi Killed and Raped Julie Ward
A Picture of Julie Ward who was Raped and Murdered while visiting kenya’s Masaai mara – Jonathan Moi Killed and Raped Julie Ward

The Keekorok Lodge employee:

A hand-written letter arrived in the UK from Kenya. There was no sender’s address.

The writer said that in September 1988, she was employed at Keekorok Lodge. She said in the late afternoon, she was standing by the petrol station, located under the entrance arch to Keekorok Lodge.

The lady said she had finished her work in the Lodge and was waiting for a lift, to take her to Sekanani Gate, where she lived in the village just outside the park.

The petrol station and the Keekorok entrance arch are directly opposite what used to be known as the Government Guest House. This is a separate building, containing three bedrooms, a lounge and private kitchen. In those days, Block Hotels Ltd owned Keekorok Lodge and the Government Guest House was kept exclusively for use by visiting Heads of State and VIPs etc.

The lady reported that as she stood waiting at the petrol station, she witnessed three men dragging a white woman from a Land Rover, into the Government Guest House. I passed the letter to British Police.

The late Julie Ward whose remains were found at Masai Mara in 1988
The late Julie Ward whose remains were found at Masai Mara in 1988

Valentine Uruhu Kodipo: Julie Ward wasmurdered on the instructions of Jonathan Moi

The information provided by this informant is long, detailed and encompasses many crimes, allegedly committed on behalf of President Moi’s Government. In fact, Kodipo even admitted committing murder while he was employed by Moi.

Kodipo’s long statement included a segment on the murder of Julie Ward, who he alleged, was murdered on the instructions of Jonathan Moi, in the presence of others.

Kodipo had appeared before a Parliamentary inquiry, where he related many crimes he and his group had committed on behalf of Moi’s Government. He projected his role, as being similar to that of the Mungiki organisation, which still exists. Basically, he said he was a member of a group of young men, allegedly paid by President Moi, to attack, injure and even murder, Moi’s political enemies and to destroy their homes and property.

After his evidence to the Parliamentary Committee, Kodipo was placed in a so-called “safe house” where Moi’s men could not reach him. This was the home of a Kenyan businessman, where Kodipo occupied a small cottage in the garden.

One night, the main house was raided by Kenya’s Special Branch officers. He heard the shouting, noises and screams. He realised the main house was being raided. He ran into the nearby forest and escaped.

The following day, he contacted a well-known lawyer who arranged, with others, to move him to safety in Kampala, Uganda. Once there, Kodipo was placed under the protection of the United Nations. They put him in another “safe house” this time on the outskirts of Kampala. He was now under the protection and control of the UN High Commission for Refugees.

The UN decided it would be impossible for Kodipo to return to Kenya, while the Moi Government was still in power. They also considered that he was not beyond Moi’s reach, even in Uganda. The UN decided Kodipo would only be safe if he was given asylum by a country outside Africa.

The UN’s first choice was Canada. However, the Canadians declined on the grounds of Kodipo’s having admitted being one of Moi’s thugs and even a killer. The Canadians did not want to offer asylum to someone with Kodipo’s self-confessed violent record.

The UN then contacted the Danish Government, who, (perhaps without being told all the information concerning Kodipo’s past activities), agreed to grant him asylum. Two Danish government officials flew from Copenhagen and escorted Kodipo to Denmark.

At first he was placed in a hostel for refugees but was later provided with a house in a small Danish fishing village in northern Denmark.

In search of the truth and at Kodipo’s request, I visited Kodipo twice in Uganda and several times in Denmark. Kodipo always offered the same account of events concerning Julie and insisted that Jonathan Moi had given the instruction to kill her following a rape attack.

I did not entirely accept Kodipo’s story, partly because it seemed too improbable. However, greater authorities did believe his account of events. Representatives of the British Government in Kampala believed Kodipo’s story. So too, did the UN. The Danish Government totally believed Kodipo and do so to this day. These governments undertook their own investigations and assessments before accepting Kodipo’s story.

In the face of such a universal official government acceptance of Kodipo’s story, I wonder whether my personal doubts are misplaced. After all, Kodipo is not the only person who alleged that Jonathan Moi was responsible for Julie Ward’s murder.

Julie Ward's father John Ward while at his home
Julie Ward’s father John Ward while at his home

Julie and Jonathan Moi sighting at the Rickshaw Chinese Restaurant:

An independent individual contacted the investigation team. He stated that just before Julie’s murder, he saw Julie and Jonathan Moi in the Rickshaw Restaurant in Nairobi. The Rickshaw restaurant has changed ownership and is now known as the Panda Restaurant.

It is situated in an office building in central Nairobi. This is the first information that Julie Ward and Jonathan Moi had been seen together. This informant has been interviewed by officers from Scotland Yard.

The Wilson Airport baggage handler:

I retained a private detective, Mr Bob Whitford, to assist in the investigation into Julie’s murder and represent my family in Kenya in my absence. Whitford had lived in Nairobi for many years and, before independence, he was a serving officer with Kenya Police. As such, he had developed many useful contacts and he had huge experience of Kenya Police and their methods.

 Whitford was introduced to me (unofficially) by an official working at the British High Commission. (As a matter of policy, the BHC does not make ‘official’ recommendations about anything – in case they are held responsible for something)

Whitford was contacted by a baggage handler at Wilson Airport. The man said that he had seen Julie and Jonathan Moi arrive at Wilson Airport in a private aircraft, from the Masai Mara. The man said they had flown up to collect a motor vehicle part.

The man said that to prove what he said, he could produce the aircraft manifest showing the names. However, the document would have to be taken from a filing cabinet at Wilson Airport and he could only do this on a Saturday afternoon, after other staff had left for the weekend.

The man told Whitford he was willing to steal the manifest provided he was paid Sh2000 in advance for taking the risk. Whitford reported this conversation to me and asked for instructions.

I decided to decline the proposal. In the first place, at that time, the information concerning Jonathan Moi was still limited. Secondly, there was always the possibility of a “set up”. I did not want to be accused of ‘bank rolling’ a burglary.

I instructed Whitford to inform the man that if he were to bring me documentary information concerning Julie’s murder, I would pay him Sh5,000, provided it was genuine. 

The man maintained he was not prepared to take the risk unless he had the money ‘up-front’. As nothing was agreed, nothing further was heard from the Wilson Airport baggage handler.

I instructed Whitford to inquire if such an individual actually existed and worked at Wilson Airport. As Whitford is white – and therefore ‘stands out’ amid the otherwise dark skinned population, sent his wife (a Kenyan lady).

Mrs Whitford said the man had been identified by another airport worker and reported that he seemed to be “energetic and was a small, dark brown.”

I wondered whether there was a link between this information and the other concerning the “sighting” of Jonathan Moi and Julie having lunch at the Rickshaw Restaurant. Could this lunch have taken place when they flew to Nairobi to collect a part for the broken down Suzuki, before flying back to the Masai Mara?

Neither the baggage handler’s account nor the Rickshaw restaurant sighting, fitted with other information. With the exception, that both involved Jonathan Moi.

Jonathan Moi Killed and Raped Julie Ward
Jonathan Moi Killed and Raped Julie Ward

The Information provided by Mr X:

In June 1999, Mr X visited the British High Commission and asked to put in contact with me. The High Commission refused but instead insisted the information should be given to them to pass it on. The man was naturally cautious and suspicious of the BHC.

The official at the BHC dealing with the matter was Rufus Drabble. His official business card described him as Press Attache. It is doubtful if that was his only role. The informant kept insisting on meeting me personally, but still the BHC refused. Finally, a meeting was arranged between the informant and Rufus Drabble, at the Serena Hotel. The informant waited – but Rufus Drabble did not turn up.

 Apparently the nervous High Commissioner had instructed Drabble not to attend, in case he was observed by Kenyan officials, which would have caused embarrassment to the BHC.

Eventually, the informant contacted Drabble and told him, that if he did not arrange a meeting with me, he would contact me publicly at the High Court, where I was attending the trial of Simon ole Makallah. Such a public contact would put the man at risk, but in the absence of BHC cooperation, it was his only option.

The BHC realised they could not stop the informer from contacting me any more and, at last, Drabble passed the man’s details to me, three months later. 

I met the informer at the Nairobi Safari Club. As with all people who offer information, I asked the man for identification and showed him my passport. Usually, informers are reluctant to produce proof of identity, always saying they fear reprisal from government if they are identified.

This informant was articulate and well dressed. He had no restraint confirming his identity. 

The man said he used to work for Jonathan Moi and produced several photographs he took with Jonathan. He said that some of the photographs were taken at one of Jonathan Moi’s houses, in Lavington, Nairobi. Other photographs showed them alone and some with other men. A few were taken elsewhere. Clearly, the man knew Jonathan Moi well and the photographs showed they were relaxed in each other’s company.

The informer started his story with the bland statement that Jonathan Moi was responsible for Julie’s murder.

He said that on the September 6, 1988, Jonathan Moi and his farm manager, together with two bodyguards and a driver, had left the farm. Jonathan’s group used a short wheelbase Landrover on their way to another farm belonging to Jonathan. Their route took them through the Masai Mara, using the 0101010 Gate to enter, and the Sekanani Gate to exit.

On the 6th September, Julie had left the Serena Lodge and would have travelled on the same road. (There is only one road). Her journey would eventually have taken her past Keekorok Lodge and then on to Sand River Gate.

The informer said Julie was taking photographs when Jonathan Moi’s vehicle stopped. At first a joking conversation and banter took place. He said the banter turned nasty and the situation became aggressive. The informant said that Julie was raped by Jonathan Moi.

At this point, there was a gap in Mr X’s story. Specifically, as to what happened next and where Julie was taken. The informant’s story continued, that later in the day, believing that Julie would report Jonathan’s assault, he instructed his bodyguards to kill her.

The informant provided the names of the bodyguards and their locations. He also provided the name of the driver and the other witness to the rape, i.e. the farm manager. This man’s name was Ibrahim Choge.

The Nairobi Law Monthly - Jonathan Moi Killed Julie - John Ward's chilling account of tourist murder in the mara and the cover up at State House by the government of Kenya
The Nairobi Law Monthly – Jonathan Moi Killed Julie – John Ward’s chilling account of tourist murder in the mara and the cover up at State House by the government of Kenya

Ibrahim Choge, Jonathan Moi’s Farm Manager:

Mr X said Ibrahim Choge was a close friend of Jonathan. He said that he was not just the manager of Jonathan’s farms; Choge also acted as navigator in Jonathan’s Moi’s rally car.

In fact, at one time, such was the closeness of association between Jonathan and Ibrahim that Ibrahim married one of President Moi’s daughters. 

Mr X reported a bizarre spin-off from this marriage. He said that President Moi had made Ibrabim’s father, a Mr Kiptum Choge, a Minister in the Department of Post and Telecommunications. Until that time, Mr. Kiptum Choge had owned a petrol station.

The informant said Jonathan Moi and Ibrahim had contrasting personalities. Whereas Jonathan had the reputation of being the irresponsible rich playboy son of President Moi, Ibrahim was of a more serious nature.

As such, Ibrahim is said to have been appalled by the rape and murder in the game park, which he had allegedly tried to stop. Mr X said following the events in the Masai Mara, Ibrahim refused to be associated with Jonathan any more and resigned his position as farm manager. He also ceased his role as navigator in Jonathan’s rally car.

According to Mr X, in due course, Ibrahim bought his own rally car and from time to time happened to compete in the same motor rally as Jonathan Moi.          

Mr X reported one incident, when an argument took place between Ibrahim and Jonathan. Allegedly, Ibrahim was heard to shout at Jonathan, in anger: “One day, I will blacken your name around the world for what you did to that girl in the Mara”.

Sometime later, while in the UK, I read Kenyan newspapers online and noticed an article about an inquest. There was also a photograph of the inquest court at the scene of a motor accident. Several high-ranking police officers were in attendance, one of whom I recognised. Reading on, I saw that the subject of the inquest was Ibrahim Choge.

The article stated that the authorities and the were insisting that Ibrahim had died as the result of a car accident. However, Ibrahim’s father, Mr Kiptum Choge (by then, a Minister of Post and Telecommunications) was claiming his son had been murdered.

I remembered the angry words allegedly shouted by Ibrahim at Jonathan.

Mr Kiptum Choge, Assistant Minister of Post and Telecommunications

On my next visit to Nairobi, I requested – and was granted – a meeting with Mr Kiptum Choge. He occupied a large office in a Government building in central Nairobi. Kiptum Choge was courteous but very curious.

I started by asking why the minister thought his son had been murdered. Kiptum said it was not a matter of opinion; it was a matter of fact. Kiptum said that in addition to the official post-mortem, he had commissioned a private post-mortem examination. This doctor reported that he had observed marks on Ibrahim’s wrists, consistent with the marks made by a rope or something similar.

Further, the doctor reported that on each side of Ibrahim’s body, there were three large bruises between the armpits and waist, which were consistent with blows from a heavy blunt instrument. He reported that one of these blows had ruptured the spleen, killing him.

Kiptum Choge said the doctor had verbally reported that, in his opinion, Ibrahim had probably been strung up by his wrists and hit with something like a baseball bat. He discovered a witness to the incident: a woman who had been walking along the same road. She told Kiptum Choge that she noticed a wooden log had been placed across the road. She had then seen a car approach round a bend (Ibrahim’s).

Seeing the log at the last minute, the driver had swerved, skidded and hit the log sideways. The car rolled over.

Kiptum Choge continued that the woman had seen the driver crawl out of the car, through the driver’s window. She noticed he had a cut on his nose. Otherwise, he appeared to be unhurt. She said that the man (Ibrahim) had reached back into the car and lifted out a briefcase. Kiptum Choge said the woman put down the bundle she was carrying and ran to assist.

However, as she drew closer, she saw three men (who had been hiding by the roadside), run out and grab the driver. The woman thought it was a robbery. Frigtened, she turned round and ran away. She told Kiptum Choge she did not see anything else.

Kiptum Choge said he knew his son had been murdered. He could not understand why the authorities and police were insisting Ibrahim’s death was an accident. At that stage, Kiptum said he had assumed it was a random robbery. However, he could not understand why Ibrahim had been beaten too.

Kiptum Choge said his inquiries had established that his son had driven from Nairobi that morning, with a briefcase containing the wages for his farm workers. After his men had been paid, Ibrahim went to a local bar to have a soda, before driving to his home. While in the bar, he had met some friends and told them that he had been followed from Nairobi by three men in a car. However, he said the car had disappeared.

Shortly afterwards Ibrahim left the bar to drive home. On the way the incident occurred.

I asked Kiptum Choge whether he knew of any motive, which could explain his son’s murder, or whether Ibrahim had any enemies? He said he had no idea. 

I then asked whether Kiptum was aware of the murder of Julie Ward in the Masai Mara and the information that Ibrahim had been a witness to part of the crime. I repeated what Ibrahim had allegedly shouted at Jonathan Moi. Minister Choge immediately became agitated. He assumed that this information proved that Ibrahim had been murdered. He said that he intended to go straight to President Moi and confront him. Minister Choge said that he would meet me again soon in London.

The circumstances of Ibrahim’s death suggested the intention was not to murder but to warn him against loose talk.

If the motive had been robbery, there would have been no point in beating up Ibrahim as well. The robbers would simply have stolen his valuables. Equally, if the motive of the attackers had been to murder him, they would simply shoot him. 

Logic would decree that the beating was to deter and warn. Sadly, one of the blows ruptured Ibrahim’s spleen, thereby accidentally killing him. 

I did not hear anything more from Kiptum Choge and, if he came to London, he did not make contact. Years later, as I was taking coffee at Trattoria restaurant in Nairobi, a man approached me and introduced himself as Kiptum Choge. No longer a minister in Moi’s Government, he wore a wind-cheater and baseball cap.

Choge looked sad and defeated. He said simply, “They killed my son: I don’t want them to kill me too.”

A Picture of Julie Ward who was Raped and Murdered while visiting kenya's Masaai mara - Jonathan Moi Killed and Raped Julie Ward
A Picture of Julie Ward who was Raped and Murdered while visiting kenya’s Masaai mara – Jonathan Moi Killed and Raped Julie Ward

Dr Adel Youseff Shaker:

In 1988, Dr Shaker was on a temporary visit to Kenya where he worked as the police pathologist. He was an intelligent and learned man, who also held degrees in law and dentistry.

On September 15, 1988, he examined Julie Ward’s remains that had been brought to the city mortuary in Nairobi. The remains consisted of a lower left leg and a jawbone, sliced in two.

Dr Shaker’s examination concluded that Julie Ward had been murdered. His post-mortem report stated that the leg had been cleanly cut from the body by a sharp instrument, as was the jawbone. Dr Shaker telephoned the British High Commission to inform them of his findings.

Dr Shaker also informed the two police officers attending the post-mortem examination. One of them, Inspector Anthony Mwaura (the same officer who was at the various scenes in the Masai Mara on the September 13) passed the information on to Police Commissioner Philip Kilonzo.

Kenya Police, British Intelligence: A Rigged Justice System:

Police Commissioner Philip Kilonzo (1)

Although aware of the post-mortem findings, Kilonzo began making strange statements. He told the press that Julie had died from an animal attack and refused to open a murder investigation.

Kilonzo’s position became untenable almost at once. The media wanted to know why he refused to accept the murder angle and why he had not started investigation. 

Kilonzo’s main problem was Dr Shaker’s post-mortem report, which was already known to me, the British High Commission and the media. 

Dr Jason Kaviti – Government’s Chief Medical Officer:

Kaviti was the Government’s Chief Medical Officer and also acted as the Chief Government Pathologist. Although not connected with the case, Kaviti left his office at Nairobi Hospital, visited the City Mortuary, and without examining Julie Ward’s remains, her file and ordered the typist to alter it.

The words cleanly cut were replaced with the “torn”. And the word “cracked” was substituted in relation to the jaw. “Sharp” instrument was altered to “blunt” instrument. The post-mortem report had changed to indicate an animal attack.

That raises the question as to who had sufficient authority to order Kenya’s Chief Government Doctor to do that. Only State House had. So, the second question is, Why on earth would President Moi be concerned about the murder of a young woman tourist in a game park?

Of course, one reason is that Jonathan Moi is the President’s son.

Police Commissioner Philip Kilonzo (2)

After several days, the BHC collected the post-mortem report from Kilonzo’s headquarters. Immediately, the alterations became apparent. At first Dr Shaker was blamed but he denied it and pointed to Dr Kaviti. Kaviti was confronted in his office at Nairobi Hospital, but could not think of any plausible excuse.

To alter another doctor’s post-mortem report, without permission or explanation, is unheard of in the medical world. Kaviti confessed but refused to say whose order he had obeyed.

Within a day (and to his huge embarrassment), the forged post-mortem was on Kilonzo’s desk, with me there demanding an explanation. Like Dr Kaviti, Kilonzo was at a loss: “a misunderstanding”, “an error”, and he “ would look into the matter”;  “He would speak to both doctors,” etc.

 I asked Kilonzo if he had, at last, ordered a murder investigation? He said he had not done so, because he was not convinced it was a murder.

In the next few weeks and months, I produced 10 separate reports, all concluding murder and foul play. These reports were from world-renowned eminent pathologists and forensic experts.

Two independent UK Home Office pathologists reported murder. I found deposits of petrol in the soil under the fire, where some of Julie’s remains and possessions had been burnt. It was analysed as Agip Petrol. Another report landed on Kilonzo’s desk. Do Kenyan wild animals carry cans of petrol around with them?

I discovered a forgery of Julie’s entry and signature at Sand River Camp ground. The forger was the clerk, David ole Nchoko.

A tress of Julie’s hair had been found at the scene of her remains. Forensic examination showed that it had been cut at both ends. Once on Julie’s last visit to a hairdresser – but the other, at the time of her murder. 

Evidence of murder was overwhelming. Each time I presented Kilonzo with a new piece of evidence showing murder, I asked him to act. Kilonzo still refused to open a murder inquiry.

Kenya’s Commissioner of Police could give no explanation for his extraordinary position. In the end he could not take more embarrassment and refused further meetings with me.

Clearly, someone had ordered Kilonzo to sweep the murder under the carpet.  This raises the question: Who had sufficient authority to order the Commissioner of Police to conceal a murder? 

Such an order could only come from State House. 

Director of CID Noah arap Too:

Kilonzo’s orders were relayed to him by CID Director Noah arap Too. Arap Too was a close associate of President Moi. Kilonzo’s credibility was already in tatters and he wanted CID to take the responsibility.

Murder is not a matter for the uniform branch. Needless to say, Too was loath to accept the responsibility and preferred to use Kilonzo as a ‘buffer’. However, behind the scenes, Too was pulling the strings for State House.

Arap Too decided to send two CID officers to the Masai Mara – Supt. Muchuri Wanjau and a forensic officer, Musimi Rudisi.

After 10 days in the park, Wanjau reported back to Noah arap Too. What he told his boss caused Too to regret his decision.

Rudisi Musimi, Assistant Commissioner (Forensics):

This specialist forensic policeman (then a Supt.) was the protégée of another Ass. Commissioner, David Rowe. As with Supt Wanjau, he was appointed directly by CID Director, Noah arap Too.

Musimi spent a few days in the game park and produced a detailed forensic report that included sketches, with precise measurements and even showed the positions of dozens of trees. He also took many black and white photographs.

Musimi’s work was deliberately misleading. It was designed to make it appear that a thorough forensic examination of the various scenes and exhibits had been undertaken. In fact, it was false.

Musimi mentioned to me that he had consulted David Rowe during his forensic examination. Years later, David Rowe informed me that Rudisi had asked for his advice while the work was in progress.

Yet, the report was all lies. Measurements were incorrect and even taken in the wrong directions. Places where items were allegedly found were completely wrong. However, it appeared to be a professional forensic examination. 

The first confirmation that Rudisi Musimi was just another corrupt policeman, occurred when he wrote about his examination of Julie’s Suzuki. The vehicle represented a potential treasure trove of forensic information. Fingerprints, DNA, blood samples, the debris contained in the vehicle; all of it would make a valuable contribution to expose the murderer and especially who had been in the vehicle.

Musimi’s report said he had examined the vehicle, but it had already been washed “inside and out”. Therefore, no forensic evidence was gathered from it and, he claimed, there were no fingerprints or other evidence. In fact, months later, when the vehicle had been moved from the Masai Mara to Nairobi and was parked at Wilson Airport, I examined it together with other witnesses and a lawyer.

The interior was littered with debris, which included a petrol receipt. It referred to a purchase of fuel made when Julie filled up in Narok. This was proof that Musimi was a liar. 

It is not difficult to reach a conclusion about the reliability and truthfulness of these two corrupt individuals posing as honest and diligent police officers.

Why would these crooked officers go to so much trouble to concoct a large, detailed yet completely false report? Turns out, it was CID Director Noah arap Too (not Commissioner Kilonzo) who had secretly appointed Wanjau and Rudisi. Therefore, logic dictates they took their instructions from arap Too and reported to him. 

Sen. Supt. Muchuri Wanjau (1):

Wanjau appears in the tragic events twice. The first time was during the original attempt to cover up the murder and 20 years later to “confess”. In September 1988, following their appointment by Noah arap Too, Wanjau and Musimi arrived in the park together. Wanjau was the senior of the two. They had a police Land Rover, a driver and from Rudisi’s photographs, they were accompanied by a group of supporting constables and park rangers. They visited the scenes. They went to Serena Lodge, where Julie started her last journey. For the first week, they acted like proper police officers.

After 10 days, Wanjau was instructed to report to Noah arap Too. What he told Noah arap Too, changed everything. Suddenly, Wanjau found that all his supporting constables were taken away and he was working alone. The Police Land Rover and his driver were withdrawn. Even Musimi had disappeared from the game park. Wanjau was left alone at Keekorok. He had been promised another vehicle and support constables. They never arrived. Without the ability to get around the game park and without any support, Wanjau was stranded.

He spent his days sitting and chatting with the park rangers at Keekorok. One day, I visited the park, arriving at midday and found Wanjau sleeping under a tree. Wanjau forlornly asked me if I knew where his Land Rover was. And, further, if I met the Commissioner in Nairobi, would I ask the Commissioner to send some transport. Apart from being abandoned, Wanjau had not been provided with accommodation. Accordingly, he checked into Keekorok Lodge and told the manager to send the account to Police Headquarters, for the attention of Commissioner Kilonzo. Kilonzo refused to authorise payment, so Keekorok Lodge sued Wanjau personally for the hotel bill. Wanjau had to pay.

Eventually, Wanjau returned to Nairobi and reported again to CID Director, Noah arap Too. It was a long meeting. Too instructed Wanjau to write a statement of his findings in the Masai Mara.

Dutifully Wanjau complied. The conclusion of his statement said: “…after intensive investigation into this death, no evidence of foul play came to light. If anything, the deceased committed suicide.” Signed: Wanjau M.C. April 6, 1989. 

Wanjau was at the centre of the matter. He had been made aware of the 10 forensic and pathology reports provided to Kilonzo. He had visited the remote locations deep in the wilderness. He knew that it was impossible for Julie to have been to those places alone. He knew of the activities of Dr Kaviti. Wanjau knew the extent of the Kenyan (and British) cover-up. Yet, Wanjau reported suicide.

Was the British Government asleep?

The British Government was also doing absolutely nothing, except worry and wring their hands. The only activity came from the media and I. The media’s voice was loud and insistent. They knew the murder of Julie Ward was being covered up by the Kenyan Government. Pressure continued to build up for an inquest in order to legally establish the cause of death. The Government in the UK was becoming uneasy.

This proposal for an inquest had the support of Commissioner Kilonzo too. He saw it as a solution to the impossible predicament in which he had been placed by State House.

 The Kenyan Government also believed an inquest would be the solution to their problem too. With supreme arrogance State House thought they could control the witnesses, control the evidence and, therefore, the verdict too. Their objective was to obtain a verdict of accidental death and rule out murder.

Once given, an inquest verdict is almost impossible to appeal, let alone overturn.

The man entrusted to orchestrate the inquest and marshal the witnesses was the Deputy Chief Prosecutor, Alex Etyang. He set about gathering his witnesses and he held meetings in his office, to ensure that everyone told the same story.

(One of the witnesses subsequently supplied a copy of  “the script” he had been given by Etyang, stating what the witness had to say in court while under oath!)This document is currently with British Police.

There were two main problems for Etyang. One, was the evidence of Dr Shaker, the police doctor, who had carried out the original post-mortem and declared murder. Somehow, he had to be persuaded to support the false alterations of the Chief Government Pathologist, Dr Jason Kaviti. The police were entrusted to ensure that Dr Shaker succumbed and complied.

The other problem was John Ward. He had amassed pathology and forensic evidence, which, if put before the Court, even the Chief Magistrate would find it impossible to ignore.

The Chief Magistrate, Joseph Mango — who, like Dr Kaviti, was another State House puppet — had been appointed to conduct the inquest. The Kenyan inquest into the death of Julie Ward, was held between August 9 and October 27, 1989.

State witness after State witness was called by Etyang and all dutifully recited their lines. Even Wanjau read his statement with his conclusion of suicide. His evidence was torn to shreds under cross-examination.

Supt. Rudisi Musimi read at length from his detailed – but completely false – forensic report. The Senior Government Scientist, a man called Sogomo, gave evidence about a pair of jeans he had examined, which he said was full of holes, caused by the teeth bites of hyenas.

Under cross-examination by my counsel, Byron Georgiadis, he was asked to produce the jeans to the court. Sogomo said he had not brought them. He was instructed to bring them in the afternoon. Later, when he re-appeared with a tiny piece of cloth, no bigger than a Kenyan 10 cent coin – and without any holes. Where was the rest of the garment? Sogomo replied that only that morning, his assistant had undertaken a flammability test and, unfortunately, the experiment had got out of control and the rest of the garment had been destroyed in the fire!

The court, packed with international journalists, erupted in uncontrolled laughter. Eventually, Sogomo admitted his original evidence was “mistaken.”

A young man called Paul Molinaro was called by Etyang. He woodenly recited that he had seen Julie leave the Sand River Camp Ground alive.

In spite of an attempt by the British Foreign Office to prevent me from providing the evidence of murder to the inquest court, several UK expert witnesses attended and gave evidence. Prof Austin Gresham, a world famous pathologist, took several minutes just to relate his impressive qualifications.

His evidence was detailed and concise. His conclusion was murder.

 Finally, Gresham held up a large photograph of Julie’s severed leg. Gresham asked magistrate Mango, how the charring, clearly shown on the severed limb, could possibly be there, if the leg had not been cut from the body first? Mango balefully gazed back at Gresham but did not speak.

Next, Gresham showed the picture directly to Alex Etyang, acting for the State. Etyang declined to cross-examine Gresham’s evidence. 

Nonetheless, Mango took three weeks to reach a verdict. One can only imagine the heated conversations that took place between Mango, Etyang, the Attorney General and State House. With dozens of international journalists waiting, State House surrendered.

On October 27, 1989, Mango’s verdict was murder by unknown person or persons. However, Mango continued that: he found no evidence of a cover-up; congratulated Kenya Police on their investigation; and would not refer the case to the Attorney General, as he considered that no further investigation should take place.

Mango must be unique in the world’s history of inquest magistrates. Having just come to a conclusion of murder, he then orders that no investigation to apprehend the perpetrators should take place! 

For the next few months nothing happened and no investigation was commenced. State House had adopted a head- in-the-sand policy and simply hoped the Julie Ward case would simply ‘go away’. 

Ex Sen. Supt. Muchuri Wanjau (2):

Twenty years later, in March 2009, I was contacted by ex Sen. Supt. Wanjau. I was staying at the Serena Hotel in Nairobi. At 10a.m. on March 31, 2009, Wanjau visited me. We talked two-and-a-half hours.

Wanjau told me that he thought he was seriously ill. He said he did not know exactly what was wrong but he had very bad pains in his lower abdomen and thought it might be something to do with his pelvis.

Other than tinted yellow eyes and slightly wincing with pain when he moved, he looked okay. Of course, he was older but he dressed smarter than when he was a policeman. Wanjau now sported a neatly trimmed beard.

Wanjau said that he wanted to tell me what he knew of the murder. At the use of that word “murder” I interrupted and asked Wanjau (if he knew it was murder) and why he had made his statement of the April 6,1989, suggesting suicide.

“I had to,” he replied.

Wanjau said that Noah arap Too had sent him and Rudisi Musimi to the game park, with instructions to ‘relax’, ‘go slow’ and ‘This is a priority for Moi”. He said they did not understand exactly what Too meant and they interpreted it to mean, “Be careful who you involve”.

Wanjau said after 10 days in the game park, he was ordered back to Nairobi to report to Noah Arap Too. During the first 10 days, Wanjau said he had not achieved a great deal, except to visit the various locations. He had also interviewed a number of people, rangers and police and had recorded a few statements.

Wanjau said he reported to Noah arap Too that, so far, he had identified four possible suspects. Wanjau said that he had interviewed a clerk at Sand River Camp Ground, who had forged Julie’s signature. Further, that there was a police officer, Karori, who Wanjau said had lied to him. Wanjau said he told Too that another ranger gave him cause for suspicion and also, the Senior Warden, Makallah, was involved.

From the interviews, Wanjau said he told Noah arap Too that his main suspect was Jonathan Moi. Wanjau asked how to proceed.

Wanjau said Too replied, “Look somewhere else.” Wanjau said he started to explain his reasons, concerning the information for suspecting the President’s son. Arap Too emphasised to him to “look somewhere.”

Wanjau said when he returned to the game park his support team had been withdrawn and he was left without transport. From then on, Wanjau said he could do nothing. Eventually, he was recalled to Nairobi and told to report to Noah arap Too. He was instructed to make a statement avoiding any mention of murder and pointing to some other conclusion.

Wanjau’s statement of April 6, 1989:

 I asked Wanjau why he had agreed to lie by stating that no evidence of foul play had come to light and concluding that Julie had committed suicide? I asked about the 10 reports given to Kilonzo and him all showing murder. Did he really get away with such falsehoods?

Wanjau simply said: “I was instructed to write that statement by Noah arap Too.”

I asked about Simon ole Makallah, whose activities and lies had by then, led to him being charged with murder. Wanjau said, “It wasn’t him. He was told to get rid of the body, but he didn’t kill her.”

I asked, “Who did”?

Wanjau said: “I think it was Jonathan Moi’s bodyguards.”

Surprisingly, Wanjau said that he thought Kilonzo was a good man and that he felt sorry for him. He said Kilonzo did not know what was going on but he had to accept instructions from above.

I asked Wanjau if he knew anything about a man called Ibrahim Choge. Wanjau said, “Yes he was murdered but they tried to make it look like a car crash. Everyone in CID knows about Choge.”

I asked Wanjau if he knew a man called David Rowe. Wanjau replied that he knew him, because he used to be an assistant commissioner of police. Wanjau said Rowe did some training too, in forensics and scenes of crime.

I asked whether Wanjau knew if Rudisi Musimi knew David Rowe too? He said Musumi and Rowe worked together even on Julie’s case and wrote the Scenes of Crime Report. 

They did this at CID headquarters, from notes taken in the park, he said. He added that Musumi and Rowe did not write that report until just before the inquest. “They might have gone down to the Mara then, I don’t know.”

Wanjau said “everyone knew the rumours” about the suspicion of Jonathan Moi.

Wanjau said he had been transferred from CID headquarter and sent outside Nairobi. While he was there, he received a message that he had been sacked at only four days notice. 

On leaving the police, he was asked to sign the Official Secrets Act form, but he refused.

This was not usual, but Wanjau said he would not sign it until he was paid his dues. Wanjau said that later, when he applied for a licence to become a private detective, his application was turned down. He said that in the end, he ‘found a way round the problem’ and obtained a licence. 

Wanjau said that he wanted to meet me again and show me some papers on many people, including Shaker, Molinaro and ole Surgan, who was in the park.

I never saw Wanjau again. Although I telephoned Wanjau’s cell phone, there was no reply. I also wrote to Wanjau, but received no reply. Later, I was informed he had died.

The one remaining suspect was Jonathan Moi:

The Julie Ward murder has attracted huge publicity and over the years there have been a number of inquiries. All of these have been conducted with restrictions imposed. Former Attorney General Amos Wako was responsible for the conditions placed on the investigators.

One such condition was that investigations could be conducted in the Masai Mara — but not in Nairobi. Nairobi was where the cover-up was orchestrated. 

However, in a totally contradictory statement to the same investigating officers (but this time in the presence of the media) Wako grandly announced they had a free hand and that “no one was above the law in Kenya.”

In 1996, the various pieces of information concerning Jonathan Moi and Simon ole Makallah, were well known to Kenyan and British police. The Kenyan team had prepared a list of people to interview, and by January 1997, all but one had been interviewed and statements recorded.

The one remaining suspect was Jonathan Moi.

By then allegations had been made against Jonathan Moi by many people. Among them was the man Valentine Uhuru Kodipo. The investigating officers were reluctant to interview Jonathan Moi. 

After dithering for many days, finally, the team leader telephoned Jonathan Moi’s office and asked for an interview. The meeting took place at 10.15a.m. on January 21, 1997, at Jonathan Moi’s office on the 8th floor of Corner House, Nairobi. Jonathan was accompanied by his lawyer and (causing acute consternation for the police team), Brig. Bill Boinet, the feared head of Kenya’s Security Services, was present too).

Although the team was in possession of many pieces of information that allegedly linked Moi to Julie’s murder, the only part they dared to disclose during the interview was the statement made by Valentine Ohuru Kodipo. 

Kodipo’s statement had been lodged with Jonathan Moi, prior to the interview and he had prepared his statement before the team arrived.

In summary, Jonathan Moi said:

a) That he had read Kodipo’s statement.

b) That the allegations made against him were totally false. 

c) That he considered the allegations intended to slander him.

d) That throughout September 1988 he was at his farm at Eldama Ravine.

e) That he had never been at the Masai Mara Game Reserve, but only at his farm at Narok. That he had heard of the missing tourist and the discovery of her remains in the Masai Mara, through the newspapers.

g) That he had heard of a place called Maela Lodge through the newspapers, but did not know where it was. (Note: Kodipo mentioned Maila Lodge and other people, in his statement).

h) That he did not know the men listed by Kodipo, such as Maritim, Nampaso, Okeda, Sacharia Bett, or even Kodipo.

i) That he did know Noah arap Too and Nicholas Biwott and ole Surtan, who worked for the Vice President.

j)  That he was not in the company of any of these people in September 1988.

k) That he had nothing to do with the late Julie Ward.

l) That he did not keep a diary. However, he remembered that he was at Eldama Ravine during the alleged period.

m) That the allegation by Kodipo that we were drinking at Mara Serena Lodge is totally false.

n) That he did not drink alcohol.

The team asked no questions and accepted Jonathan Moi’s statement without comment and, with grateful thanks to the President’s son, they hurriedly left with a collective sigh of relief.

A copy of Jonathan Moi’s statement is with British Police.

The UK Inquest, April 2004 (1):

In April 2004, the inquest into the death of Julie Ward was held at the County Hall in Ipswich Suffolk. The evidence concerning the Kenyan (and British) cover-up became public knowledge. By this date, Moi had finally been ousted from power and Kibaki was president.

Among his reforms, Kibaki had created a Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs. The new Minister was Mr Kiraitu Murungi. The evidence given at the inquest made headlines throughout the world, but especially in the UK and Kenya. The First Secretary of the Kenyan High Commission in London was sent to sit in the Ipswich Court throughout the hearing and take notes. 

As the damning evidence about the cover-up could not be denied, the Kenyan Government decided to embark on “damage limitation.” Basically, this involved admitting everything that had occurred in the past, under Moi, while claiming that since Kibaki came to power, everything had changed. Further, that from then on, the new government of Kenya would cooperate and work until the perpetrators of the crime were brought to justice.

On the third day of the UK inquest, when the evidence against Kenya (and the British Government) was at its most damning, the Kenyan First Secretary asked the Coroner (Magistrate) if he could be allowed to enter a statement into the proceedings. The statement was provided by Kenya’s Minister for Justice and Constitutional Affairs Kiraitu Murungi.

If this article made sense to you, here’s a related post regarding Uganda’s Robert Kyanguli, AKA Bobi Wine. It addresses the silencing of activists in Africa as well as the misuse of power by presidential dictators. Read it here now to understand How censorship is working against Uganda’s tyranny and Dictatorship.

New Kenya probe on Julie Ward murder:

Earlier in the report, Mr Stoddart said: “This realisation [that the initial police inquiry was flawed], allied to the brazen, deceitful and dishonest behaviour of the Kenyan police; the contradictions, untruths and evasive behaviour from a member of the British High Commission (political section) led to Mr Ward pursuing a different line of inquiry – namely that the authorities had conspired deliberately to prevent Julie’s murderer(s) from being brought to justice.”

A new probe into the murder of the British tourist Julie Ward is set to begin after senior UK police officers persuaded their Kenyan counterparts that an investigation was possible based on the advances in forensic science.

PAUL REDFERN, Nation correspondent in London Posted Sunday, October 11 2009 at 16:06

Julie ward as a child
Julie ward as a child

Despite the difficulties in mounting an investigation – not the least of which is because of witness reliability 21 years after the murder – UK police officers including John Yates, the head of Scotland Yard’s anti terrorism squad appear to have convinced Kenyan officers that a new trial was possible, based on the identification of human DNA from the murder scene, which is believed to belong to one of her attackers.

The visit of Mr Yates who visited Kenya recently with two other senior Metropolitan Police detectives and John Ward, Miss Ward’s father, “was shrouded in secrecy because of Mr Yates’ sensitive role as head of the anti-terrorism squad and because Kenya has witnessed devastating attacks by al-Qaeda,” according to the Sunday Telegraph newspaper in the UK.

Police spokesman Eric Kiraithe said files of murder investigations are never closed so that the probe can continue whenever new evidence come up.

“Am aware of correspondences (with the UK detectives) to that effect and any new leads will be pursued but and am yet to know the details,” he said.

But Mr Ward who has spent nearly £2 million and made more than 100 visits to Kenya in a relentless pursuit of his daughter’s killers, is delighted with the news.

The new inquiry will be headed by the Kenyan police but it will be aided by at least two Scotland Yard detectives, the report said.

The Sunday Telegraph added that although the Julie Ward case has no link to terrorism, Mr Yates has decided to continue to head a handful of high-profile murder investigations that he had taken on in his former role as head of the Met’s Special Crime Directorate.

The new case is also said to be based on a “credible” new witness who has come forward claiming that she knows where some of the remains of Miss Ward were buried after her murder on the Maasai Mara game reserve in September 1988.

Julie with her brothers
Julie with her brothers

The woman, approached Mr Ward through a lawyer saying that the charred remains of Miss Ward that were found 21 years ago were placed in a remote area of the Maasai Mara to throw investigators off the scent of where the murder had actually taken place.

The track Graham Searle believes Julie took on her final journey
The track Graham Searle believes Julie took on her final journey

Mr Ward, 75, a retired hotelier from Brockley, Suffolk, welcomed the new inquiry yesterday and praised the determination of Scotland Yard to try to solve the case. He hopes a systematic dig will be carried out at the scene – a town on the edge of the Maasai Mara – where the witness says some of Miss Ward’s remains have been hidden.

“I welcome the new inquiry,” he told the Sunday Telegraph. “This case is solvable because we haven’t run out of leads yet. Armed with the new DNA evidence, what we need now is the full co-operation of the Kenyan authorities.”

Mr Yates has now flown home to Britain after meeting former Police Commissioner Major General Mohammed Ali. The other two officers travelled with Mr Ward to the crime scene on the Masai Mara during a visit in the summer.

Miss Ward was last seen alive in Kenya on September 6, 1988, after she travelled to the Maasai Mara with Dr Glen Burns, an Australian friend.

Sand River Keeborok
Sand River Keeborok

Her remains were found by her father on September 13.

An inquest in Britain in 2004 recorded a verdict of unlawful killing and there have been two separate murder trials in Kenya.

Two game wardens were accused of murder after Scotland Yard’s initial investigation but were acquitted in 1992. Seven years later, Simon Makallah, the head warden of the Masai Mara at the time of Miss Ward’s death, was tried for murder and also acquitted.

An investigation last year also revealed that the British authorities had deliberately obstructed Mr Ward in his pursuit of justice over her brutal murder. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and the British High Commission in Kenya were heavily criticised in an unpublished independent police report on the case, which highlighted mistakes and cover-ups over the murder.

You may also want to read (opens in new tab):

  1. Social Activism in Kenya: Mainstream NGO’s vs Community Organisations
  2. Bobi Wine: How censorship is working against Uganda’s tyranny and Dictatorship
  3. Tribal Bigotry in The Gambia: What No One Is Talking About