In my opinion, the greatest things you can do as a Team Leader in an organisation are: –
1) Hire people who can do what you can not; it’s otherwise redundant to the vision
2) Hire people who ‘own’ the vision not those who feel it’s ‘your’ vision; also, always listen to them even when criticism is harsh
3) Give your team creative freedom & autonomy to make decisions; if they blunder, fine, they learn, guide them to grow from their mistakes
4) Never assume you are grooming someone to ‘take over’ from you – perhaps that’s not what they want, maybe (& usually) they have their own ambitions. Help them transition smoothly to this, then recommend them as they leave amicably when it’s time
5) Take very good care of their needs – keep them motivated
Inversely, as a team member, if your team leader lacks the above 5, that would be a red-flag for you to consider moving to another company/organization.
The above 5 are things I had to painfully learn experientially, the least I can do now is share them with the young professionals – there, you have a head-start!